UNH is a premier marine science and ocean engineering university and is among the best in the nation in basic and applied research and education in service to the nation. From exploration to science to solutions, the School of Marine Science and Ocean Engineering engages in multi-disciplininary approaches to addressing complex problems affecting our global oceans, coastal zones, and nearshore margins.
The School of Marine Science and Ocean Engineering is committed to the intellectual, personal, and professional growth of its students, faculty, and staff. The mission of the School is to work across the university to enhance, facilitate and deliver internationally recognized, cross-disciplinary and high-impact research and education in marine science and ocean engineering.
- Education: Attract graduate students by offering a world-class learning experience through active engagement in marine research and technology development.
- Leadership: Prepare the next generation of scientists, engineers, policy makers, and resource managers to be knowledgeable and effective leaders.
- Innovation: Allow advancements in science and technology generated by considerable investments in research and infrastructure at UNH to be carried forward by the next generation.
- Practicality: Help meet future needs of industry and federal, state, and local governments for a technologically trained workforce.
- Collaboration: Leverage collective knowledge across the broad spectrum of marine-related disciplines including the social sciences and humanities.
- Engagement: Develop focused programs for potential students and with stakeholders to engage policy makers, industry, and the public on marine-related scientific issues.
- Responsibility: Advise federal, state and regional policy-makers on legislative and regulatory initiatives.