Spring 2019 Application Deadline: April 15, 2019
The purpose of the Business & Proposal (B&P) and Seed Grant funds are to develop proposals or pilot research ultimately leading to external funding (private, industry, government). Funds available each year will target $25,000. Typical amounts will range from $1,000-$5,000 with a cap of $12,500 per call. There will be two application rounds each year in the Spring and Fall. The Spring 2018 proposal has not yet been announced. Awards are anticipated to be made within 30 days of the proposal deadline. Budget items appropriate for B&P requests include Research Faculty salary, Faculty summer salary, and research staff salary directly related to proposal development. Budget items appropriate for Seed Grants include Research Faculty salary, Faculty summer salary, student salary, research services (boat expenses, equipment rental, etc.), and expendable supplies.
What these SMSOE Seed Grants & B&P do NOT cover:
- Conference travel or fees
- Professional development courses
- Student tuition
- Applicant must be affiliated with SMSOE and be able to serve as an UNH PI
- No more than one application per PI (lead or co-I) in each review period, and only one grant per PI will be funded in any given year
- Proposal must provide some indication of the targeted
- Applicant must provide an assessment of the potential for return
- B&P applications only – must identify specific agency program or RFP, with proposal due date if known, for which the proposal is being developed
The application requires your name, title and affiliation, date, a description of research activity or identified proposal development, and an itemized budget with explanation.
Criteria and Review Process:
- Priority will be given to first time applicants
- Priority will be given to interdisciplinary efforts that connect more than one program or department across UNH
- The request should ultimately serve the wider community or society as opposed to a focused single PI research program
- SMSOE Research Committee will review proposals with the exception of committee members with conflict of interest, and will recommend funding applications to the SMSOE Executive Committee.
B&P: A copy of the externally submitted proposal developed as a result of the B&P funding must be submitted within 6 months of awarded funding. A copy of the submitted proposal will be forwarded to the SMSOE following proposal submission.
Seed Grant: Summary report of research results and identification of external funding opportunities eventually leading to external funding. Reports to be submitted to the SMSOE within 1 year of award.
Questions to be submitted directly to Jennifer Miksis-Olds (email@example.com) 862-5147.
Awards will be made on or about May 15, 2019 and funds dispersed July 1, 2019.