Great Bay EcoCruise
Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 8:30am to 2:30pm
Join fellow explorers on an activity-based cruise from new Castle, NH up the Piscataqua River into the Great Bay Estuary and to the Jackson Estuarine Laboratory.
You are likely to get your hands wet as you learn about marine and estuarine ecosystems on this informal, educational cruise. You'll be invited to:
- Tow for plankton and marvel at its movement in a magnifying scope
- Capture water from below the surface and test its characteristics
- Observe, handle, and hear about plants and animals from unique habitats
- Watch an otter trawl deployment and learn about the organisms it retrieves
- Find out what scientists study about the Great Bay Estuary
The Great Bay Estuary adds approximately 150 miles to New Hampshire's relatively small coastline. Those 150 miles include everything from industrial, historical and military landmarks to a wildlife refuge and National Estuarine Research Reserve. There will be opportunities to learn more about these landmarks and share what you know. There is also plenty of time on-board to just enjoy the fresh air, sights and sounds of the estuary with your on-board companions as we scan for bald eagles, osprey, and harbor seals. Time aboard the boat is approximately 5 hours including about a half-hour visit to the Jackson Estuarine Laboratory.