- Design and evaluation of ecosystem-based governance and management initiatives to protect, redevelop or adapt damaged ecosystems for sustainability and protection of bio-diversity (e.g., internationally shared ecosystems, watersheds, coastal regions, marine ecosystems)
- International environmental policy for sustainable development: implementation evaluation and capacity building
- The design and application of tools enabling the systematic analysis of policies and institutions that enable gaining insights and knowledge to improve decision making and policy implementation (e.g., use of case studies and other integrative approaches to implementation evaluation, policy audits, policy impact assessment using GIS, development of sustainability indices for monitoring and assessment, etc.)
- Capacity building to develop appropriate intelligence systems and decision processes to support ecosystem-based governance (i.e., environmental education and training, participatory decision processes, strategic planning, conflict resolution, institutional reform) which fosters sustainable use of ecosystem goods and services
- NR 720/820: International Environmental Politics and Policies
- NR 724/824: Resolving Environmental Conflicts
- NR 731/831: Ecosystem Based Governance
- NR 735/835: Land Conservation Principles and Practices
- NR 915: Seminar: Coastal Challenges for Science-Policy Collaborations
- NR 916: Linking Decision-making and Coastal Ecosystem Science
French,Charles and Mimi Becker. “The Changing Face of Urban Agriculture in Havana, Cuba: The Shift from Producer Cooperative to Private Gardens.” In Review.
Nascimento, Lucigleide Nery and Mimi Larsen Becker. (2008) “The Implications of the “Virtual” Water Trade” and Virtual, Environmental Degradation for the Sao Francisco River Basin in Brazil” in Cienc. Admin., Fortaleza, v.14 n.2, p 175-190, dez 2008.
Fleeger, W.E., and M.L. Becker. “Decision Processes for Multi-jurisdictional Planning and Management: Community Wildfire Protection Planning in Oregon.” International Journal of Society and Natural Resources.
Nascimento, Luci, Mimi Larsen Becker and Charles Vorosmarty. (2007). “Teleconexoes, Mudancas Climatica e a Bacia Hidrografica do Rio Sao Francisco” (Teleconnections, Climate Change and the Sao Francisco River Basin).
Fleeger, W.E. and M.L. Becker. “Creating and Sustaining Community Capacity for Ecosystem-Based Management: Is Local Government the Key?” Jl of Environmental Management: Vol. 88 Issue 4, September 2008: pages 1396-1404.
Howland, David,Mimi Larsen Becker and Lawrence J. Prelli. Merging Content Analysis and the policy sciences: A system to discern policy-specific trends from news media reports. Policy Sciences, 2006.
Prelli, Lawrence J. and Mimi Larsen Becker. “Learning from the Limits of an Adjudicatory Strategy for Resolving U.S. - Canada Fisheries Conflicts: Lessons from the Gulf of Maine Case. Natural Resources Jl Spring 2001, Vol.41, No.2: 445-486.
Becker, Mimi Larsen, John R. Coon and John Williamson. “Bridging the Gap: A Model for Building Trust and Collaboration Between Marine Resource Regulators and Stakeholders” in Globalization and Water Resources: The Changing Value of Water: Proceedings of AWRA/University of Dundee International Specialty Conference on Globalization and Water Management. August 5-9, 2001 Dundee , Scotland , UK . Washington , D.C. : AWRA, August 2001.
Becker, M., R. Congalton, R. Budd and A. Fried. “A GLOBE Collaboration to Develop Land Cover Data Collection and Analysis Protocols” Jl of Science Education and Technology, Vol. 7 No.1, February 1998:85-96.
Congalton, Russell and Mimi Larsen Becker. "Validating Student Data for Scientific Use: An Example from the GLOBE Project." in K.C. Cohen, ed. The Impact of the Internet and Technology on Student-Scientist Partnerships: A New Force in Science and Science Education. Cambridge : MIT Press, 1997: 133-155.
Fried, A., R. Congalton, and M. Becker. “New Frontiers in Land Cover Classification and Accuracy Assessment.” Proceedings of the First International Conference on Geospatial Information in Agriculture and Forestry. Lake Buena Vista , FL , 1-3 June 1998. ERIM International, Inc. Ann Arbor , MI.: 1998: Vol. I. pp. 290-7.
Straussfogel, Debra and Mimi Larsen Becker. "An Evolutionary Systems Approach to Policy Intervention for Achieving Ecologically Sustainable Societies." Systems Practice, Vol. 9 No.5. Fall 1996:441-468.
Becker, Mimi Larsen. "The International Joint Commission and Public Participation - Binational Cooperation and the Role of the Grass Roots: Past Experiences, Present Challenges, Future Tasks." Natural Resources Journal. Vol. 33 No. 2. Part 2; 1993: 235-274.
Christie J., M. Becker, J. Cowden and J. Vallentyne "Managing the Great Lakes Basin as a Home." Journal of Great Lakes Research Vol. 11 No.4 (1985):2-17.
University of New Hampshire
Department of Natural Resources & the Environment
207B James Hall
56 College Road
Durham, NH 03824