Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Ocean Engineering
Ph.D. Oklahoma State University, 1999
Systems dynamics and control, underwater vehicle and structure modeling and control, nonlinear state estimation and control, spacecraft control, extraterrestrial surface navigation, asteroid modeling and prediction, dynamic modeling of flexible spacecraft
Professor Thein's current marine related research involves dynamic modeling and control of underwater vehicles (ROVs, AUVs) and precision depth and rate control of underwater structures for open ocean aquaculture.
- ME 670: Systems Modeling, Simulation, and Control
- ME 747: Experimental Measurements and Modeling of Complex Systems
- ME 7/843: Satellite Systems, Dynamics and Control
- EOS/ME/PHYS 7/8/995: Spacecraft and Instrumentation
- ME 7/895 Spacecraft Science and Application
- ME/OE 7/895 ROV Science and Applications
- ME 895: Fuzzy Systems and Control
- ME/ECE 951: Advanced Controls I
- ME/ECE 944: Nonlinear Control Systems
- Tech 797: Undergraduate Ocean Research Projects
Her past and current marine related senior captsone projects (Tech 797) include the design, building and testing of ROVs for International MATE ROV Competition, hovercrafts for the National HCA Hoverally Competition, and an experiemental platform for underwater astroid ballistics testing/analysis.
- Edwards, C. and Fridman, L. and Thein, M. L., "Fault Reconstruction in a Leader/Follower Spacecraft System Using Higher Order Sliding Mode Observer," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics (under review).
- Thein, M. L., "A Variable Structure Parallel Observer System for Robust State Estimation of Multirate Systems," accepted for publication to the Transactions of the ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control.
- Pukdeboon, C. and Zinober, A. and Thein, M. L., "Quasi-Continuous Higher Order Sliding-Mode Controllers for Spacecraft-Attitude-Tracking Maneuvers," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 4, April 2010.
- Waterhouse, D. and Dunstan, M. and Kramer, M. and Kite, J. and Jenkins, B. and Thein, M. L., "TableSat Generation II: a Limited 5-DOF Table Top Prototype for NASA's Magnetospheric MultiScale (MMS) Mission," accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the 2010 AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, August 2010.
- Waterhouse, D. and Dunstan, M. and Kramer, M. and Kite, J. and Jenkins, B. and Thein, M. L., "TableSatII for NASA's Magnetospheric MultiScale (MMS) Mission - A Problem in Orbit and Attitude Determination and Control, " AAS 10 - 255,Proceedings of the 20th AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, San Diego, CA, February 2010.
- Mushaweh, N. and Jenkins, B. and Castelli, D. and Thein, M. L., "A Comparative Analsysis of Body-Rate Estimation Techniques for the NASA Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) Mission Spacecraft," AIAA-2009-5949, Proceedings of the 2009 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Congress and Exposition, Chicago, IL, August 2009.
- Mushaweh, N. and Thein, M. L., "Comparative Observer-Based Nutation Control Techniques for NASA Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) Mission Spacecraft," AIAA-2008-7484, Proceedings of the 2008 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Congress and Exposition, Honolulu, HI, August 2008.
- Thein, M. L., "Celestial Navigation (CelNav): Lunar Surface Navigation," AIAA-2008-6759, Proceedings of the 2008 AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Congress and Exposition, Honolulu, HI, August 2008.
- Borrelli, M. J. and Thein, M. L., "Feedback Control During Orbital Transfers of a NASA MMS Spin-Stabilized Spacecraft," AIAA-2008-7084, Proceedings of the 2008 AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Congress and Exposition, Honolulu, HI, August 2008.
- Farrar, M. S. and Thein, M. L., "Comparative Analysis of Control Techniques for Satellite Formation Flying Orbiting About the Earth-Sun L2 Point," AIAA-2008-7358, Proceedings of the 2008 AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Congress and Exposition, Honolulu, HI, August 2008.
- Pukdeboon, C.; Zinober, A. S. I.; Thein, M. L., "Quasi-continuous higher-order sliding mode controller designs for spacecraft attitude tracking manoeuvres", Proceedings of the International Workshop on Variable Structures Systems (VSS 08), June 8-10, pp. 215 - 220, June 2008.